BFI Film Academy
PASSIONATE ABOUT DOCUMENTARY FILM?
WANT TO ATTEND A PRESTIGIOUS FILM-MAKING COURSE WITH HIGH LEVEL FILM INDUSTRY EXPERTS?
The British Film Institute is supporting talented young film-makers across the UK. VividEcho and CTVC are delivering the BFI Documentary Residential Academy.
DOCUMENTARY RESIDENTIAL ACADEMY
The BFI Documentary Residential offers a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to meet OSCAR and BAFTA winning documentary film-makers, work with broadcast quality equipment, gain technical skills and produce a high quality documentary film. You just need to be aged between 16-19 years and have a passion for documentary film.
Over the course of the residential you will:
- Create short documentaries in teams that will be screened in a London Cinema in front of friends and family.
- Attend masterclasses with industry experts including double OSCAR winning Producer Simon Chinn, Editor of The Imposter Andrew Hulme, and many more.
- Attend craft skill workshops to learn the technical skills of camera, sound and editing from industry professionals.
- Attend workshops in research and development and production management.
- Attend a range of trips including the BFI’s Future Film Festival.
- Watch a range of award-winning documentaries and meet the film-makers.
- Gain practical experience in an idea development session with award-winning documentary company CTVC.
There will be 40 young people aged 16-19 on the course. We accept applications from young people living anywhere in the UK.
Introductory residential weekend: January 19th and 20th 2019
Residential week: February 17th – 23rd 2019
Debden House, Debden Green, Loughton, Essex IG10 2NZ. All meals will be provided here, at no additional cost. You will be sharing rooms with other participants of the same gender.
The course is means tested based on household income. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information. If you are offered a place on the Film Academy and can’t afford the fee, our bursary scheme will help you. PLEASE DO NOT LET FEES DETER YOU. We also have travel bursaries.
CLOSING DATE FOR DOCUMENTARY APPLICATIONS: December 3rd 5pm. Please send the application form to email@example.com.
You must be aged between 16-19 at the start date of each course.
You must NOT be at university.
You must have a passion for film!
No formal educational qualifications are required.
We welcome applications from talented young filmmakers from all backgrounds. The Course Fee ranges from £0 to £210 for the Specialist Residential course, which includes your accommodation and food for the duration of the residential.
Due to generous support from the Department for Education in England, Creative Scotland, Lottery funding and Northern Ireland Screen we are able to heavily subsidise the cost of fees. The true cost of providing these courses is £1,500, but the maximum you will be asked to pay is £210 if you fall into the highest income bracket. Depending on your financial circumstances we will subsidise some of the Course Fee or all of it.
Please don’t let the cost of the residential courses deter you from applying. If a young person is offered a place on the Film Academy and can’t afford the Course Fee or other associated costs, our bursary scheme can help them – if you have the talent we will make sure you can attend. For more information please download the FAQs here or email firstname.lastname@example.org